Bonjour, good day, how are things in your world? As a warning, this entry is going to be super random. Brain potpourri, if you will.
- If you haven't read this piece on James Frey and his book packaging company, I highly suggest you do--especially if you're an aspiring author. I'm not going to comment on it at this time, but I will say that reading it made me feel deliriously thankful for my time as an Editorial Assistant. When I first read my contract for Brightly Woven, I had to have my dad and agent translate the contract language into "plain speak" in order for me to understand what the exact terms were. Now I can read publishing contract and explain them to others. And, let me tell you, if I had read the contract for JF's company, I would have set the paper on fire and gone screaming in the other direction.
- Speaking of my dad... he, Mom, my sister, Steph, my grandmother, and my aunt and uncle are all in Egypt! They had a quick layover in NYC on Saturday, not long enough for me to pop over to JFK and see them. I'm going to see them when they come back on the 27th, though (and bring them cupcakes)!
- Oh, yeah, and speaking of BW, there's a big contest happening right over here on BWFan.com. :) I'm not sure I ever got around to blogging about this, but if you're interested in purchasing a signed copy, you can order one through Books of Wonder and... uh... give the gift of North?
- In other BW news, the paperback is landing next Summer--June 28, 2011! (Interesting that when I typed in "Brightly Woven" into Amazon, it tried to auto-fill in the phrase, "Brightly Woven Sequel"! Sorry, searchers. No news there.)
- The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is trying to save thousands of words from falling out of use in the English language. You can adopt one here. I adopted sparsile, an adjective for "of a star not belonging to any constellation." (And if you've never visited the OED or thumbed through a copy, you should. FASCINATING. I used to read it for fun!)
- Via the Fug Girls, here's one for the Vampire Diaries fans out there. Remember when Katherine was all, ""In 1987 you were in Chicago, at a concert of all places, with that wench, Lexi. Come on, Stefan, don't look so surprised. Of course I checked in on you over the years. You were standing in the front row, dancing all night. You were watching Bon Jovi, and I was watching you." to Stefan? First of all: Stefan at a Bon Jovi concert. Let's pause for that amazing mental image. Second: someone took it upon themselve to make a Tumblr of Katherine's stalkage through the centuries (aka Paul's other projects). A+, internet, A+. My Tumblr is over here, by the way.
- HARRY POTTER THIS WEEK!! WHO ELSE IS GOING TO THE MIDNIGHT PREMIERE AND THEN IS GOING TO GET THROUGH THE NEXT DAY OF SUFFERING AT WORK BY REPEATING THE MANTRA OF, "YOU KNOW WHAT'S HARD? HUNTING AND DESTROYING HORCRUXES. THAT'S HARD!"???
- Finally, I'm going to be around even less over the next few weeks. I know, shed a tear, right? I'm in the z-o-n-e for revisions on Black is the Color. They shouldn't be too, too terrible, I'm just annoyed with myself for not being able to break some of the writing habits that became evident upon revising BW. I had a writing day with Anna yesterday, and while we didn't accomplish much writing or revising itself, it was helpful to me in the sense that I was able to pick her brain and throw ideas at her. So it actually was very productive, just not in the traditional sense.
I absolutely can't wait for you guys to read this story. I love it, love it, love it. This is the first time I've ever been truly excited to work on revisions, because it means going back and hanging out with Ruby and the gang again. :)