1. Thank you so much to everyone who left a comment on my MOCKINGJAY posts! I've loved hearing everyone's take on the book--y'all are smart cookies, and it's been a total blast to discuss the finer points of the book with you! At work, the junior editors (editorial assistants -> associate editors, with the added bonus of one of the fabulous editors I work with) all got together on the 1st to discuss the book. We fangirled, ate pizza, and these adorable little cupcakes from The Bent Spoon we renamed Peetacakes in our favorite baker's honor. What's interesting is how different our discussion was than the one I was hosting online. We got into the nitty gritty of what was wrong EDITORIALLY with the book (for example, the amount of fade-to-blacks-wake-up-a-day-later-and-have-two-pages-of-explanation-of-what happened). Total blast. Have I mentioned how much I adore all of my coworkers? And not just because they enable my coca-cola habit and give me quarters so I can go down to the vending machines in our scary basement.
2. I took the day off from work today. It's our last summer Friday (woe!!), so I figured I should take advantage of the fact I could get an entire day off and only have it count as a half day. I'm going to attempt to fast draft the ending of my WIP, but I've been distracted by some fantastic books. I'm reading Anna's latest to give her comments, another book I can't talk about since I'm technically not suppose to have a galley of it (ho ho ho), and ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS. Can I just say how badly I miss Paris? And how great ANNA is? Really. Will write more about all of the books when I finish them!
3. So my Mom? She was working at the store she works at last night, and the store was ROBBED! I'm so glad there were no weapons or violence involved. Apparently these guys just came in, pretended like they were going to buy a wedding present, and ran out with all of this merchandise in their arms. When you work in retail, you're not supposed to chase these people down (because they could, you know, turn a gun or knife on you and then the store would have insurance issues), but I still think my mom would have if her arm wasn't broken. Have I told you guys about the time she was in her 20s, walking home late from work one night, and fought off a guy at knifepoint because she didn't want to give up the Elton John tickets that were in her purse?
4. Can I tell you guys about how much I love CeeLo's song F*ck You? It's the first song on my September playlist and I have way too much fun walking to the subway listening to it. He just released the official video for it, but I kind of love the earlier text-only video. Here's both, in case you haven't seen them.
5. 8.4 Million New Yorkers Suddenly Realize New York City A Horrible Place To Live from the Onion. I feel like this article was written for me, not only because it hits upon everything I like least about living here and my general bewilderment at New Yorker pride, but also:
Before departing by private helicopter, Mayor Michael Bloomberg spoke with members of the media to address the situation.
"You know what the greatest city in the world is?" Bloomberg asked reporters. "Scottsdale, Arizona. It's clean, it's not too big, it's got a couple streets with shops and restaurants, and the people there aren't f*cking insane. This place is f*cking insane. And by the way, that's not a reason to like it. Anyone who says that is a delusional dirtbag."