The One in a Nutshell
What I did with my life on this long, miserably hot past weekend: - Wrote/revised my butt off, and am back up to 25k words. As most of my stories end up between 90k-120k, I'm guessing this bad boy is probably going to be between 90k and a 100k. I realize this is interesting to no one but me, but after four attempts of starting and restarting the novel, I'm glad to finally be over the first fourth of the book. My word count progress is probably going to slow considerably, though, as the next few scenes all have to be written from scratch rather than just modified. I don't think I'll make my original goal of finishing by August 8th, but I do have a chance at finishing by the end of August.
- Went to Target in Brooklyn! Back when I was still at W&M, I used to take the bus to Target for fun, so you can imagine that I was excited for this adventure. What can I say? I just love that store. I go there when I feel homesick, that's how deep my love runs. Except... okay, so you know in Toy Story 3 how the toys are put in the Caterpillar Room? Brooklyn's Target is the Caterpillar Room of Targets. It's just so... so... bad. There's nothing on the shelves (FOR REAL--HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE) and what's there looks like it's gone through a world war and just scraped by with enough luck to survive it. Now, I don't expect my Targets to look like glimmering, golden Fairy Realms where good deals bloom among the glitter-dusted roses--but I expect to not see dog poo-poo sitting in the lamp aisle.
Oh well. On the plus side, I didn't have to take a water taxi to get there (just 45 minute subway ride) and the cart conveyor belt was kinda cool (which didn't really make up for the fact that the escalators were broken).
- Tried to make homemade BBQ chicken. The BBQ sauce was DELICIOUS. The chicken... um, a little crispy. Shoulda putta lid on it.
- Posted pictures of the latest batch of Wheatie puppies on Twitter like a total maniac. My parents drove all the way down to Tucson to play with them for all of twenty minutes. That is the power of baby Wheaten Terriers. You cannot resist the cute!
- Watched The Shawshank Redemption for the first time in a few years, and caught a ton of little things I never noticed before. SO. GOOD. If you've never seen it before, I can't even tell you how much you're missing out.
- Got upset over something dumb on GoodReads, considered deleting my account over there, ranted on Tumblr, deleted rant on Tumblr, promptly got over it.
- Started thinking about ways to redesign my author site. Wished that I had inherited my mom's drawing skills and her ability to cut a straight line.
- Sat outside with the intention of getting a tan, only to realize I am never going to be tan. Ever. Came to terms with it and valiantly moved on. ;)
- Finally realized exactly what my A/C unit sounds like: Smokey on LOST.
- Stayed up until 5 AM on Sunday/Monday, but
I'm not exactly sure why. Oh wait, no, I know exactly why--work stress/guilt! I almost came in yesterday, on my day off, because I was so convinced I had a million and a half things to do. I came in an hour early today, only to realize that I, uh, really don't have anything to do at the moment.
How was your holiday weekend?